The just released Argon servo drive firmware version 2.1.0 adds support for encoders with analog Sin/Cos outputs. Drive allows selecting interpolation factors of 16, 64 and 256 for such encoder. This means that an sin/cos encoder with 1000 lines per revolution, would give resolution equivalent of 256*1000 lines. In addition to this, normal quadrature decoder 4x gain applies on top of that, meaning that 1000 line encoder will yield total resolution of 1024000 counts per revolution.
The FW upgrade contains also many other improvements based on the user feedback that we have received. For full list & download, see firmware page at wiki.
Earlier announced ATOMI is finally getting the focus it deserves! Now we have second revision boards under our scope for testing and firmware development. From initial tests, we can tell that we’re very close to the final design. At the moment it looks like we need only to change one resistor value on the PCB to make it final.
Four axis drive ATOMI boards along with 400W AC servo motor and IONI Pro HC drive
We can thank Esa Hippolin from the beautiful hardware design.
Something cool is under development relating to BLDC (brushless DC) motors. BLDC is similar technology to sinusoidal AC motors but with trapezoidal voltage waveform. This makes BLDC little bit smaller and usually cheaper than AC motor.
While I’m typing this, in running a FEM simulation of outrunner BLDC motor to optimize the electrical commutation phase angle for such motor. Iterative simulation takes some 20 hours to compute.
Finding optimum commutation angle makes it possible to implement MTPA (maximum torque per amp) drive algorithm for such engines. Such efficiency boost might be very beneficial especially in battery powered applications such as multicopters, but of course it also will benefit squeezing more out of the existing motors. More about that later!
It’s time to make another post about amazing work of Juha. Now he has completed his design of magnetic paddle shifters as well as wireless transceiver. A group of us did test drive of the wheel and everyone immediately fell in love with the snappy feeling of magnetic shifters.
The magnetic switch has a micro switch and a small permanent magnet to produce the “spring” force of the paddle.
Magnetic paddle shifter
Paddles and buttons on a frame with wireless Bluetoot transceiver and battery
Button frame front side
Simulator wheel with controls installed
See it in action:
Maybe best of all, it’s open design. 3D printable parts and other info can be found from this Thingiverse page.
We asked couple of friends to help assembling the SimuCUBEs of the Indiegogo campaign, and as reward from their help I gave them SimuCUBEs. Well, this is what happens when you give them to brilliant people:
Simulator rig frame where the seat, steering wheel, pedals and SimuCUBE will be installed
Cutting simulator rig plywood parts with CNC router
This is a project of Juha which has been inspired by the earlier build of another help contributor, Mika. More updates will follow!
Boxes after boxes started piling up during the last week, and we had no choice but start occupying a new room for them. We expect rest of the parts, including some 4000+ screws to arrive within a week. After that, we start to figure out how to put it all together!
Today we received the first samples of final SimuCUBE board designs. Testing of it shows no flaws so we’re giving the green light for the first 250 pcs batch assembly! All parts are already in stock, so assembly should not take too many days.
SimuCUBE with the needle bed SimuCUBE production tester device
The photo above shows also the work-in-progress test bed for SimuCUBE that will be used to test & verify the operation of every shipped SimuCUBE. The device under test will be placed on the top of the bed and the spring loaded pins will contact certain pads on the bottom of the SimuCUBE board to allow tester to contact all necessary signals at once.
Just a quick update on how things are going with SimuCUBE; we are waiting for the first set of final SimuCUBE PCBs to arrive within a week to verify that everything is ok. Also the first prototype of the acrylic case for NDR-480 and SDR-480 power supplies is cut and assembled, after a couple of adjustments everything seems to work fine and the cases are going in to production next.